Sunday, August 20, 2006

REVIEW: THE RAGAMUFFIN GOSPEL

The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning

Manning has written a great book that reminds us that God loves us and accepts us just as we are. God's gift of grace is for everyone, and all we have to do is show up and accept it. We don't have to be perfect, or have it all together.

Manning also talks about how we need to be honest with ourselves, with others, and with God. We can admit that we're "ragamuffins", that we may be saved, but we still struggle with the same old issues (lust, pride, anger, etc). We're "sinners saved by grace".

It was interesting to see that Brennan's thoughts often line up with those of the "emerging church", but most of it is put in a way that makes it not seem so bad.

Chapter 9 talked of a "second call", and to me, this seemed a bit "New Age"... I'm no expert in that, but he just seemed to lose me for a bit in that chapter. It felt a little "off".

Otherwise, though, this was a great book, and I took lots of notes!

Rated: B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I found myself saying "That's right!" and "I haven't thought about it that way before!" the whole time I read through it. I give it a solid A.